Yes I have made a fair few banana breads in my time & this one has been the absolute favourite over the last few months. It’s incredible simple to make, requiring no special equipment, which means its perfect to whip up when your away on holiday, at a friends or just want a quiet evening of baking.
Maca is an ancient superfood of the Andes district where it has been consumed for thousands of years. It is packed full of vitamins, minerals, enzymes & all essential amino acids. Maca has unique alkoloids which are known to improve the function of the endocrine system. It helps to regulate hormones as well as increasing overall energy levels. Loving earth Maca is sourced directly from the organic grower in Peru therefore making it a great fair-trade choice when ensuring producers are being paid for their hard work.
Coconut sugar is the sap from coconut palm blossoms which is tapped directly from the palm tree. It’s processing is minimal which means it is left with a wide range of minerals. It is also low G.I, which helps to avoid those sugar highs & lows. In comparison to cane sugar, coconut palms can produce over 50% more sugar per acre while also requiring less water & nutrients. This make it an extremely sustainable choice.
Cosy banana bread
- 4 overripe bananas, the ones hiding out in your fruit bowl with black spots are the best
- 2 tbsp Loving Earth chia seeds
- 6 tbsp filtered water
- 1 tsp vanilla powder
- 1 & 1/2 C wholemeal spelt flour
- 1 tsp bi-carb soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 C almond meal
- 1/3 C Loving Earth coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp Loving Earth Maca powder
- 1/2 C Loving Earth coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 C coconut milk (I like to use Pureharvest Coco-Quench)
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 C Loving Earth 85% dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 banana, sliced in half lengthways
- 1 tsp coconut sugar, extra
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celcius. Line a loaf tin with baking paper (approximately 25cm x 12 cm).
- Peel the bananas & mash with a fork.
- Mix the chia seeds & water together in a jug & set aside to form a gel-like consistency.
- Sift the spelt flour, vanilla, bi-carb, baking powder & cinnamon into a medium mixing bowl. Add the almond meal, coconut sugar & maca powder & gently whisk to combine.
- Add the melted coconut oil, coconut milk & apple cider vinegar to the chia gel. Whisk to combine. Add in the mashed bananas & mix again.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry & gently fold together, being careful to not over mix.
- Spoon into the prepared loaf tin. Sprinkle over the chopped chocolate, press the banana into the top & sprinkle over the coconut sugar.
- Place in the preheated oven & bake for 50-55 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean & the top is a golden brown colour.