As I sit down to write this, it is not cookies on my mind but the rice paper rolls, the soy eggs & squash fritters from some well recognised food bloggers who are sharing their stories. These are not any story but the deepest of stories about their families & their childhood. Each one has made my heart swell & my eyes fill with tears as I think about the hardships they & (their families) faced & the tough decisions. One thing is the same in each story – it’s about finding a safer home. Somewhere they could bring their children up without the threat or fear of violence & persecution. I urge all of you to go & have a read & remember now, while all this craziness is going on in the world that in the end we are all human & we all deserve to live without fear. #immigrantfoodstories
Here are some cookies that will bring a little hope & warmth into your life. They will fill you up & make you feel good.
Makes approx. 24 large cookies
- 1 C whole spelt flour
- 1 C rolled oats, plus 1/2 C extra
- 1/4 C brown rice flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- a pinch of sea salt
- 1/4 C desiccated coconut
- 1/2 C raw almond, roughly chopped
- 1/2 C dried cranberries
- 1/2 C roughly chopped dark chocolate (70% cocoa)
- 1/2 C macadamia oil
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1/4 C rice malt syrup
- 2 over-ripe bananas
- Pre-heat your oven to 180 degrees celcius & line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
- Place the 1 C of rolled oats into your blender and pulse for a few seconds to turn into oat flour. Pour into a large bowl and sift over the flours, baking powder, cinnamon & sea salt. Add the whole oats, coconut, almonds, cranberries & dark chocolate. Mix to combine.
- In a large jug mash the bananas then add in the oil, vanilla & rice syrup. Whisk together before pouring over the dry ingredients. Mix into a thick dough then with damp hands roll tablespoon size balls. Place onto the trays and flatten with the palm of your hand.
- Bake for 15 – 20 minutes, until golden. Cool for 5 minutes on the trays before transferring to a wire rack.
- Delicious eaten on the day otherwise will keep for up to 5 days in an airtight container.
Enjoy & spread love xx