Ever since my sister got her very spoilt dog a waffle maker for christmas (crazy, I know). And although Ebony, the dog, loves waffles she’s not too good at cooking them. So, since then, I have been searching for the perfect waffle recipe. After many failed attempts (too crispy, too soft, doughy or dry), I have finally found a fail proof recipe that is SO delicious! The coconut kefir acts like a raising agent, with its natural bacteria, and produces fluffy on the inside and crispy on the outside waffles.
These waffles have become a favourite breakfast of mine that is perfect for the weekend and mid-week too due to their simplicity. Soaking the oats overnight means all you have to do in the morning is blend and let the waffle maker do its magic!
I have been making my own coconut kefir over the last month, i simple combine kefir grains with coconut milk and sit it a room temp for around 36 hours. I then shake it up and store it in the fridge for up to 1 week. It’s also delicious with granola and in smoothies.
Coconut kefir waffles
Makes approx. 4 waffles
- 1/2 C raw buckwheat groats, soaked overnight
- 1/2 C hulled millet, soaked overnight
- 1 C coconut kefir (I make my own by fermenting coconut milk with kefir grains)
- 1 banana
- 1 tsp vanilla powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Strawberries, coconut yoghurt, hemp hearts, banana & pure maple
- Banana, natural peanut butter & shaved dark chocolate
- Blueberries, cashew cream & grain free granola
- Pineapple, kiwi fruit, coconut cream & coconut nectar
- Start this recipe the night before by soaking your buckwheat and millet in a large bowl covered generously with filtered water. I always add a squeeze of lemon or apple cider vinegar too when soaking grains.
- In the morning rinse your grains well and place in a high-speed blender with the coconut kefir, banana, vanilla and cinnamon.
- Blend on high for 1 minute or until a completely smooth and creamy texture. Set aside for around 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat your waffle iron to the desired setting, I like to have mine of the 2nd highest function for a nice, crispy outside.
- When heated, pour in approximately 1/3 C of the batter. Close and let the waffle maker do its thang.
- While the waffles are cooking prepare your desired toppings.
- If you are cooking for a crowd keep the cooked waffles, covered with a tea towel, in a 150 degrees celcius oven.
- However, these are best served hot off the waffle maker!