The last few days of Autumn are shining upon us which means my breakfasts have started to heat up. On the mornings when I don’t have to eat my breakfast post yoga & in the car, I enjoy beautifully creamy, warm oats with an assortment of toppings. Lately we have been getting the last of the passionfruit from my parents vines, lots of bananas at the markets and the first of my favourite golden kiwifruit. These make the most delightful topping on creamy coconut porridge.
I’ve got one more week left of this semester at University then a couple of weeks of exams. After that, my boyfriend, my parents and I will be packing our bags and heading to Sri Lanka! I’m beyond excited and can’t wait to swim in the warm ocean, walk through some splendid tea plantations and feast on fragrant curries. We’re heading through the hill country then to the east coast. I would be forever grateful if any of you have some travel advice and must see/do places. I’m also hoping to do an Ayurveda cooking class, so any information about that would be most welcome.
Anyway here is a beautifully warming porridge recipe with a little tropical inspiration.
Creamy Coconut Porridge
- 1 C rolled oats (gluten free if necessary), soaked overnight
- 1 C coconut milk
- 1 tsp vanilla powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamon
- 3 passionfruit, pulp scooped out
- 2 bananas, sliced lengthways
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp coconut sugar
- 1 golden kiwi fruit, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp coconut flakes, toasted
- Coconut milk, extra to serve
- Coconut syrup (the sap from the coconut palm), to serve
- Soak the oats overnight in a generous amount of water. Drain in the morning and place in a small saucepan along with the coconut milk and 1 C of filtered water.
- Place the saucepan over very low heat and add the vanilla, cardamon and cinnamon. Bring to a low simmer and stir for 5-10 minutes or until thick and creamy.
- While the porridge is cooking, heat the coconut oil in a small frypan. Sprinkle the sliced bananas with coconut sugar before placing cut side down in the pan. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until golden. Flip and cook the other side for 1 minute before turning off. Set aside.
- When the porridge is ready pour into your serving bowl and top with the caramelised bananas, passionfruit pulp, kiwi and coconut flakes. Serve with extra coconut milk and coconut syrup.